Thursday 17 October 2013

POETRY - AWAKEN!



By her side I sat
The admired, from afar
Spotted in the crowd
In the rush to book comfort

Alone, together
I thought it a blessing
With the Pilot minding his wheels
I imagined us in a dialogue -
Beholding nature, pointing, appreciating landforms

Speedily we past them
The crowd that sought to thee hide
Hastily, we moved fast into nature’s arms
But silence, whom I frustrated, almost to death
She encouraged, and nurtured to a stature that killed me

Hey! They all screamed
Many a voice began saying the same thing
Though they jammed into a confusing murmur
But her voice was distinct, as she gently tapped
Please stay awake; for you infect the Pilot!

Awakened, I turned
I beheld her beauty!
How could I remain near death
throughout my passage through you?

You sent your breeze, it greeted
My eyes beheld, many of the same -
Proud mounds, crowned with lush vegetation
Popped like the knocked head of a recalcitrant

So breath - taking were your views, oh Mpu!
as you heralded Nsukka
that you kept me awake; so glued to you
that I could only say goodbye to her
As we alit to meet another crowd!

FOOTNOTE:
So memorable was my second trip to Nsukka! Don’t get me wrong, the first ‘she’ was many men’s desire, in fact, I was the envy in the bus; but she snubbed, and the other said hi. Why should I now be blamed?

No comments:

Post a Comment