Saturday 7 June 2014

RELIGION - HOLY SPIRIT: CHRIST’S REPLACEMENT OR HIMSELF?



HOLY SPIRIT: CHRIST’S REPLACEMENT OR HIMSELF?

I have followed ‘the readings’ in this season closely and I found myself at a loss to fully accept that my ignorance is still plenty! He has enlightened minds in the past, and I’m sure He who has come to teach us all truth will start here with me and you as we reflect.
 I don’t intend to make this lengthy so I will dwell on only these three premises:
1)      “... I will send you another Comforter…”
2)      “If I do not go, the Promise of the Father will not come…”
3)      “… If any man is thirsty, let him come to me!... As scripture says: From his breast shall flow fountains of living water. He was speaking of the Spirit…. For there was no Spirit as yet because Jesus has not yet been glorified” - John 7: 37-39
The first tell us that there have been previous Comforter(s), of which we can say Christ was One. The second tells us that the Comforter is also the promise of the God the Father. The first and second tell us that the Father and the Son have authority over the Spirit… as to “send” Him.
Now the last from John 7: 37-39 is of particular interest. It is clear that He (Christ) was talking about the Holy Spirit Who the creed teaches Proceeds from the Father and the Son. Of major interest in the particular is this: ‘… For there was no Spirit yet.…’
I, in my mortal frailty will infer that there was nothing like the Holy Spirit “as yet”, on the apostles, or on others, while Christ was on earth. As yet, because He only came hitherto to reveal the Christ in particles, before He came, and during his lifetime. “… For flesh and blood did not reveal this to you…” - Matt. 16:13-
This perhaps was because the spirit was domicile in the Christ. He taught with power and authority. He revealed the dark sides of men… the Samaritan woman and the prostitute come to mind, together with the times He didn’t need to hear questions before answering. The story changes as the Christ goes to the Father. What was in Him became available to humanity. All things were, and is still been revealed to humanity! The timid spoke and now speak with authority. Those who could not cast out a demon raised the dead! All these and greater works were done because the latter Spirit was to confirm the Christ and His teachings. This raises a question, fundamental as it were.
Is the Holy Spirit, the other Comforter, the same as the First? He is the Spirit of the First… He groaned in the First to the Father. Is my spirit not me? No. Yes. I attempt, and not attempt to bring in the Holy Trinity. But then why do we attempt to separate Christ from His spirit in our Christian lives today? Christ is on the throne…. His Spirit is with us... Hmmm
I pray this Spirit of truth to enlighten our hearts the more, because I find, once again, difficulty in reconciling this paradox. but then I am a mere mortal, and my ignorance is still plenty! Come, fill the hearts of the faithful… and enkindle in them the fire of Thy love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment